“By participating in a global programme, I was given exposure to global skills and expertise on a local level and that was truly amazing.”
Innovation: Thevia roof tile
Description: A 99.4% recyclable roof tile that is stronger, lighter and quicker to install than concrete roof tiles.
The problem: Traditional concrete roof tiles are heavy and prone to breaking because they are brittle. This results in high development costs for builders.
The story so far:
- Thevia tiles weigh 75% less than traditional concrete tiles, yet are twice as strong and not brittle
- Thevia tiles weigh 75% less than traditional concrete tiles
- The purchase cost of Thevia tiles is similar to traditional roof tiles, but the long-term project cost is up to 15% less, as they are not brittle and prone to breakage
- Reduced weight means a truck can carry four times the amount of tiles
- It also allows for wider spacing on roof trusses and therefore fewer and less denser trusses are needed
Approval and certification for
- Water absorption – ASTM D570
- Dimensional or thermal stability – ASTM D2126
- Thermal conductivity – Linseis THB100
- QUV / Accelerated weathering – ASTM G154
- Bearing test – ISO 178
Register with the NHBRC and scale up production to 300 000 to 500 000 tiles per month.