“Being exposed to entrepreneurs from other developing countries during the San Francisco trip helped me understand the challenges of disruptive technologies while providing motivation to persevere through difficulties.”
Innovation: GreenTower Microgrids affordably provide electricity, fresh water, hot water & sanitation from renewable resources for self-sustainable communities
The problem: In South Africa around 7 million electric water heaters consume more than 10GW, or a third of total available grid capacity. Low-income housing projects are particularly affected by high energy costs.
- GreenTower Microgrids will reduce annual electricity bills by 39% and save 1,300 kilolitres of water annually for a home for the elderly with 80 residents
- Greentower Microgrids use solar power for recycling 40,000 liters of greywater per day to supply potable water for a corporate headquarters in Cape Town
- Tech validated (University of Pretoria)
- Prototype tested at a hospital (2014)
- South African patent registered
- Commercial pilots running (2015)
Pivot: GreenTower has changed from household rooftop systems to Microgrids for property developers, corporates, retirement homes and low-income housing.
What’s next? Eco-V is working on improved software to manage GreenTower Microgrids and provide for industrial scale and also integrate with wind turbines. Future markets include student accommodation, shopping malls and hospitality.